Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Weatherman (or woman) [Reflection Eight]

Today in class the suggestion came up of being a 'weatherman' while teaching. In other words, teaching the class without hardly ever looking up at the board, the Powerpoint, or other aid you are using. You teach to the students and not an object.  My goal in becoming a teacher has always been along the lines of helping kids to learn more about this technology that I love, but more to be able to connect with them and make a difference in their lives. I want my job to be fun, but also rewarding, and I'm willing to put in the work to make it like that.  I feel like teaching to the students instead of an object like I said above, can help that connection start. Make your students feel like you are talking to them, that you want to be talking to them.  After the initial connection is made, I think it is important that your students trust you. Trust is so important in school. I know that if I didn't trust a teacher, there was no way I was going to be excited about any assignments they gave me. It makes such a big difference.
                                                                                                                                                               
"The more you remember about a student and the more you ask a student about these facts you remember, the more your students will trust you. A classroom built on trust and maintained throughout the year will perform far greater than a classroom built on threats and consequences." - Classroom Management Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment