Thursday, November 3, 2011

A++ [Reflection Nine]

Something I found very interesting today was the topic of what grades actually are. What do they represent? Is there such thing as a fair grade? How am I going to assign a letter grade? As I sit here and think about it, I find myself reflecting back on the grades I've earned in my schooling career so far, especially in high school. I wish I could say that all of those A's represent how much work I put into each class. In reality, there were a few classes (cough, Biology) that I floated through. Don't get me wrong, I did the work in those classes, but really only did it for the grade.
I've brainstormed and brainstormed on another way to do this whole grading thing, but even though it is quite flawed, our grading system isn't going anywhere. Without assigning letter grades, you create problems with the students and parents, as stated in examples in class today.
My solution: I've decided that each year I'm going to have the 'grades' talk with my students. I want to tell them to picture themselves down the road 10 years from where they're at, and think about what they want to be doing. As horrible as it is, grades will get them there career wise. I will address that fact that if you do the work, you'll most likely get a good grade, but I will also push them to go beyond that. Care about what they are learning and earn that good grade. When I have tests the kids will know the information on them because we will study it together and drill it in their minds for a few weeks before. Those students aren't going to forget the information a few weeks later, they are going to learn in my class and push themselves to earn the grades they recieve. How can I say this? Because I am going to help each and every student one on one achieve this, no one will be left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment