Friday, November 18, 2011

Part of This Complete Breakfast [Reflection Eleven]

For this post I just wanted to reflect on the teaching experience I had with my group at Rocky Mountain Elementary School yesterday morning. To start off, I just have to say I think I had an extremely real teaching experience in the fact that I had to completely wing my first lesson on marketing right on the spot. I goofed with some preparation issues and suffered because of it. But in a way I was glad it happened because I've heard from my Mom (also a teacher) that most of the time what you planned for class almost always doesn't go exactly the way you want it to.

Overall, I feel like our lesson went great! The kids seemed to be having fun and I was surprised at the knowledge they already have on the subject matter we shared. Our project for them to work on was to design a cereal box for a new cereal we created -- Rice'ms (M&M's and Rice Krispies). They did a great job! I was glad we picked a design-based lesson because that is what I want to teach, and it was neat to see what things worked and what things didn't.

At the end of it all, I was worn out (and we were only there for just over an hour!) I think I more fully realized what exactly I'm getting myself into (haha). A teaching profession is something you put your whole body and soul into, and hope it all turns out in the end. It's not something to take lightly, it's a lot of work. I'm excited for it! This experience helped me get one more little glimpse at why I'm getting this education, and what I have to look forward to in the future!

Here are a few of the cereal box designs the kids did--

(Note the one that says '100% sugar' in one corner and 'Only 100,000 calories!' in the other. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment